Students spend more time online than ever, and they need to have a solid understanding of digital citizenship to behave in a safe and responsible way while online. Even though children in kindergarten through high school have grown up in a digital environment, they still have a lot to learn about how the internet works. In today's educational climate, the following are some of the ways in which digital citizenship impacts school district officials, educators, and future digital citizens.
What Is Digital Citizenship & Why Does It Matter
Students at RMVA will learn about online safety as part of the digital citizenship curriculum, but the curriculum covers much more than just that. A warning about the dangers posed by the internet was probably the sole aspect of "digital citizenship" instruction that children received a decade ago. Now, safety is just one component among many others included.
Research from the Centre for Cyber Safety and Education found that forty percent of students in grades four through eight have engaged in conversation or interaction with an unknown person while using the internet. 53% of these people provided the stranger with their phone number, while 15% made an effort to meet them in person. In light of these statistics, school districts are pondering the topic of how they might more effectively teach youngsters about internet safety, which is an essential component of digital citizenship.
In addition, RMVA’s course have a responsibility to combat inaccurate information sources, which students are unable to identify without instruction and direction. It's a concept that's tough to understand for even the most seasoned of adults: Over two-thirds of respondents to a poll conducted by Pew Research said that they are much more confused about current events and issues as a result of exposure to false news. A survey conducted found that 23 percent of respondents admitted to spreading and believing false news.
What Makes Up Your Digital Citizenship
There are a couple of factors you should be familiar with to understand how your digital citizenship exists:
- The equal distribution of technology and digital resources is ensured via digital access.
- Digital commerce emphasizes the usage of money on digital platforms, such as online purchasing, selling, and banking.
- The electronic exchange of information is the essence of digital communication and cooperation.
- Digital etiquette refers to the norms of online behaviour, which include consideration for others.
- Digital fluency empowers individuals to make prudent online judgments. Schools may contribute to the development of digitally literate individuals by assisting students in distinguishing between authentic and false news.
- The focus of digital health and welfare is internet users' physical and mental well-being.
- Digital law refers to the comprehension of online conduct and the formulation of regulations regarding the digital activity.
- Digital rights and responsibilities include the freedom to use the internet and digital technologies as well as the need to alert adults of possible issues.
- Digital security and privacy emphasize knowledge of cyberthreats, such as privacy assaults and breaches, and prevention efforts.
- These topics may be included in comprehensive education to ensure that schools are concentrating on more than just fundamental internet safety. As students utilize online spaces for schoolwork, research, and other endeavours, educators should instruct them on each subject.
Get a kickstart
Why not contact us at [email protected] to see how we can provide you with your personalised training and skills enhancement packages.
Simply put, our WHY is to open-up the exciting world of interactive and engaging online learning by providing affordable, quality education to all.
As stated before, the reason for our existence is based on our passion and commitment to the educational future of this country, and how we can help bring this country into the future of education.
With R|M|V|A, you can engage in interactive and immersive learning learn from anywhere, anytime and on any channel.
Check us out www.rmva.co.za